Chevrolet Spark Owners Manual: Engine Exhaust
Engine exhaust contains carbon monoxide (CO) which cannot be seen or smelled. Exposure to CO can cause unconsciousness and even death.
Exhaust may enter the vehicle if:
- The vehicle idles in areas with poor ventilation (parking garages, tunnels, deep snow that may block underbody airflow or tail pipes).
- The exhaust smells or sounds strange or different.
- The exhaust system leaks due to corrosion or damage.
- The vehicle exhaust system has been modified, damaged, or improperly repaired.
- There are holes or openings in the vehicle body from damage or aftermarket modifications that are not completely sealed.
If unusual fumes are detected or if it is suspected that exhaust is coming into the vehicle:
- Drive it only with the windows completely down.
- Have the vehicle repaired immediately.
Never park the vehicle with the engine running in an enclosed area such as a garage or a building that has no fresh air ventilation.
Running the Vehicle While Parked
It is better not to park with the engine running.
If the vehicle is left with the engine running, follow the proper steps to be sure the vehicle will not move.
See Shifting Into Park on page 9-18 and Engine Exhaust on page 9-20.
If the vehicle has a manual transmission, see Parking on page 9-20.
Warning Lights, Gauges, and Indicators
Warning lights and gauges can signal that something is wrong before it becomes serious enough to cause an expensive repair or replacement. Paying attention to the warning lights and gauges could prevent injury. Warning lights come on when there could be a problem with a vehicle function. Some ...
Automatic Transmission Fluid
How to Check Automatic Transmission Fluid It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. A transmission fluid leak is the only reason for fluid loss. If a leak occurs, take the vehicle to your dealer and have it repaired as soon as possible. The vehicle is not equipped with a transm ...
Dome Lamps The dome lamp controls are in the overhead console. Move the control to change the lamp setting. OFF: Turns the lamps off, even when a door is open. DOOR: Turns the lamps on automatically when a door is opened. ON: Turns on the dome lamps. For more information about interior lig ...